Saturday 9 August 2014

Easy Drop stitch fringed scarf


I wished to knit a scarf for myself ... I needed a simple and loose-knit scarf, what kind of  knitting pattern should I go for it? I asked myself and thought for a long time. I drew, I counted, I tried to knit it in a small sample... Finally, I decided to knit an easy drop stitch fringed scarf.

This scarf uses a different lengths of  horizontal drop stitch. It create a beautiful wavy and loose pattern.

For me, a scarf is a great way to add an interesting touch to an outfit. Let me make one now. 

Knitting abbreviations:
K    = knit
YO = yarn over once
YO2 = yarn over twice
YO3 = yarn over three times
YO4 = yarn over four times

Materials:
Yarn    : 100%  acrylic, weight 40g 
Needle : single-pointed needle (size 4.5mm)



Knitting pattern
Cast on 36 stitches ( or any multiple of 14 plus 8)
Row 1 - 3)  Knit 3 rows

【start pattern]

Row 4) K8  *YO, K1,YO2, K1, YO3, K1, YO4, K1, YO3, K1, YO2, K1, YO, K8* Repeat between ** until the end of the row.

Row 5)  Knit across and drop all the yarn-over stitches off the needle.

Row 6 - 7)  Knit two rows.

Row 8)  K1  *YO, K1,YO2, K1, YO3, K1, YO4, K1, YO3, K1, YO2, K1, YO, K8* Repeat between ** until the end of the row. ( this row will end with a K1 instead of K8.)

Row 9)  Knit across and drop all the yarn-over stitches off the needle.

Row 10 - 11)  Knit two rows.

Repeat from row 4 to row 11 until a required length of your scarf.

Last row ) Knit one row. (the scarf will end with another 3 rows of garter stitch) and cast off.




How to make a fringe


Now, I will show you how I make the fringe for the both ends of the scarf. This is a very simple knotted fringe. I am sure you can do it very well.
  1. Cut lengths of yarn to double the length of the required fringe. Add extra yarn for the knots. Here I use two strands of  yarn for every section of fringe. Now, fold the two strands of yarn in half.
  2. Insert the crochet hook through the edge of the knitting, catch the loops and draw them out.
  3. Catch all the ends of the fringing using your fingers and pull them out.
  4. Tighten the knot. Then continue to complete all sections of fringe. How many sections of fringe you are going to do? Try to calculate before you continue the next section. Here I make each section every four stitches.
  5. Divide every section of fringe in half, then knot each half of one together with half of the next fringe.
  6. A row of knotted fringe is finished. Continue your work at another end of the scarf.




A simple and nice drop stitch fringed scarf is finished. There are many ways to wear a scarf, try out and proclaim your personal style from now. Happy knitting!!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...